Ways to teach instruments in the elementary music room
Professional Development Bundle • 32m
In this training, we'll discuss how to use instruments, what instruments you need, and what to do if you don't have instruments.
The key takeaways from this training include:
1. “Small groups can play rhythms, they can create rhythms together as a class, or they can improvise."
2. "Centers and partner activities are also great ideas as well.”
3. “Start by having kids play a steady beat. You can’t have a house unless there’s a foundation. That’s the same way in elementary music.”
4. “Do echo rhythms with partners.”
5. “If you do centers in your classroom, you might have 3 different areas of instruments.”
6. “You have 5 groups, with 5 kids, with 5 different instruments. What you’re going to do is have them play the rhythm to a song with their instruments.”
7. “Maybe your students start on a certain instrument, and then you have them rotate.”
8. “If you’re in a classroom that doesn’t have very many instruments or you just don’t know where to start, you can have the kids use body percussion. Everybody has a body.”
9. “Start with boomwhackers as your first set of melodic instruments.”
10. “With instruments, start with the foundation and then things you absolutely need, then slowly build up your program over time.”
11. “Create a rain storm with instruments.”
12. “Any book is great to add instruments to.”
13. “With any lesson you’re teaching, you can change it up and make it your own.”
Up Next in Professional Development Bundle
Communicating with parents as the ele...
In this training, we'll go over ways to communicate with parents as the elementary music teacher. This is tricky, because you see every child in the school. So, you'll communicate with the parents differently than the regular classroom teachers.
Key takeaways from this training include:
Tips for teaching singing in elementa...
In this training, I'll share tips for teaching singing in elementary music. This is something that definitely didn't come naturally to me when I first started teaching, since I'm an instrumentalist. But, these are the strategies I began implementing that really helped not only me, but my studen...
Tips for teaching movement in element...
This training goes over my favorite tips for teaching movement in elementary music. Getting kids up and moving is so important, and honestly in my opinion, is when lots of music learning takes place. If you're not teaching movement yet, most of the time, it just takes us stepping out of our com...