Tips for teaching movement in elementary music
Professional Development Bundle • 30m
This training goes over my favorite tips for teaching movement in elementary music. Getting kids up and moving is so important, and honestly in my opinion, is when lots of music learning takes place. If you're not teaching movement yet, most of the time, it just takes us stepping out of our comfort zones as teachers.
Key takeaways from this training include:
1. "Movement to the students at my first school thought of music as just hip hop. That was the culture I taught in."
2. "You have to get comfortable teaching movement, and then your students will feed off of this. It honestly just takes time and consistency."
3. "There is different types of creative movement. There is no right or wrong way to teach it. Do what's comfortable to you."
4. "If you learn something at a workshop, you can change it up and make it your own, to fit the style of your music classroom."
5. "Using scarves when teaching creative music is one of my favorite things to do. Kids are a lot more creative than we give them credit for."
6. "There are so many ways to teach movement... folk dances, creative movement, mirror movement, class or partner movement are examples."
7. "With lower elementary keep it simple and with upper elementary, move more around the room."
8. "If you walk in acting like you're a pro, your students will respond to that."
9. "You're always going to have those one or two kids who don't respond no matter how much effort you give."
10. "These are my favorite movement teaching resources..."
11. "With any book you get, go through any resource and pick what you want to teach. You don't have to do every single lesson in it."
12. "Use literacy to go with movement. There are so many good ways to do this."
Up Next in Professional Development Bundle
Teaching songwriting, composing, and ...
This was originally going to be an interview with Steve Giddings of stevesmusicroom.com about how he teaches songwriting and composing in his music classroom. Due to technology issues, this training is me teaching and going over the interview answers Steve gave.
Check out his website at ste...
How to plan for next school year
In this training, we'll discuss everything you need to do now to have a successful school year next year.
The key takeaways from this training include:
1. “Look at what worked this year and what didn’t work this year and rethink things for next year.”
2. “When you take professional developm...
Procedures, classroom management, and...
Classroom management is definitely a huge struggle for elementary music teachers. You just want to teach music, and don't want to have to constantly focus on behavior issues and procedures. But, when good classroom management is in place, your teaching will go a lot smoother and more learning t...